Saturday, February 23, 2008

Wondercon, Early birds, Maverix

Sunday was looking to be rather busy with a day at Wondercon, one show, and one party to go to... It did not get off to a great start. First, I was up till 5am playing Crayon Physics Deluxe and Flywrench. After less than 5 hours of sleep, well I originally planned to hit Wondercon early to beat the crowds and get some traffic free shopping done. This plan however ran into a serious SNAFU when I quickly left my apartment and just as quickly realized I had locked myself out. I mistook the jingly in my pockets (my con-badge) as keys and was left in a pickle. Calling my landlord (all the way in Millbrae) she said that she just had thyroid surgery and her husband wasn't too well. Trying (and failing) to get a ride, they eventually decided I was such a good tenant that they'd come up to help me. Whew! So with some time to kill, I went up Geary in search of food.
















I found this nice Irish Bakery called Jon Campbell's Irish Bakery. Why have I never seen this place before? Oh, the hours are Sat. and Sun. 10am - 3:00pm. I got a raisin scone and a "Belfast Bap," a sandwich with eggs, cheese, Irish sausages, and Irish bacon. The scones were quite excellent. The sandwich was pretty good too but I didn't get to really finish it as I had to relocate myself a few times and then it started getting cold. Would definitely get another one but there were some nice looking meat pies I'd want to try out next time. Of course, typing this I now remember this was one of Jen's backup brunch places. Good eats! A quick story on the sandwich name. Belfast is obviously the name of the Northern Ireland capital city. A bap however is a Scottish and Irish styled bread roll. It's about 5-6 inches in diameter and moundy in shape. As such is also a slang word for the female breast. Something I learned from my British friend Henry back in Chien Tan 1995.
















OK, so I fiiiiiinally get my keys (thanks land lords) and now on to Wondercon. And since I'm late, the very crowded Wondercon. Above is a shot of what I would deam as "light traffic" were pockets of space are still visible.
















American Cosplay done right. Well maybe not Stormshadow on the right but Cobra Commander and Baroness? The only critique I could have is Cobra Commander's shoes. As the supreme commander of an evil super organization, you couldn't find time to get those shoes shined? The imprinted facial expressions in the mask are great.
















I met up with Thien and coworker Laurie and hit up some panels. I first walked in on a panel discussion for 10,000 B.C. for which I was tempted to ask if the Ringo Star movie Caveman had any influence on their approach to the movie. But the mic was so far away and the line was rather long so I quickly gave up on my curiosity. That was followed by Get Smart featuring the lovely Anne Hathaway (whom the panel kept referring to as "Annie") and the ever funny
















but concentrated face dude, Steve Carell. For American The Office fans, having just finished a 2 week service in jury duty, Steve expressed interest in writing an episode about Michal Scott getting jury duty. The audience asked Steve lots of questions to the point where the other two speakers (Anne and director Peter Segal) were feeling left out. Finally someone addressed Anne and saying how awesome was. She was so happy saying something like "I no longer feel outcasted like back in highschool" to which the questioner asked "my question to you is.... what is it like working with Steve?" to which Anne quickly corrected herself "ok, now I feel exactly like back in highschool." Peter eventually got a question which would also turn into "what was it like directing Steve." Which goes to show, despite having lovely Anne Hathaway on stage, comic geeks are much more into their superstar heroes.
















Andrew Stanton of Pixar presents their new movie WALL-E. Lots of clips. It looks like it will be a good movie. I also saw some stuff for the new Star Wars animated Clone Wars movie and TV series, Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian stuff, and Iron Man. All the stuff looked good.
















Hey, congrats to Lark who was nominated for an Eisner award for best coloring in the comic titled American Born Chinese. I saw a girl getting the book signed by Lark gushing over "being represented" in comics. Growing up, all we had was Jubliee, the flat chested annoying Chinese girl with weak-ass "sparkler" powers and the obnoxious yellow (yes, yellow) jacket with bright pink flare. And there was sexy Psylocke but she was a blonde Brit surgically altered to look Japanese so she doesn't count. Doubly so.
















previously featured paintings by Lark.
















So besides all the shopping, that was my Wondercon. Next was the Early Bird Painters Art Show at Studio Gallery. So despite my bad luck this morning (plus my left eye pain was acting up again), how is that parking spot for reverse karma?
































































































Early birds, Dice and Enrico participating in recursive photography.
















New early bird and coworker JimmyG.
















Millers for diner.




















A hearty hot link, mac salad, and pickle.
















Maverix Studios party. I guess there were a lot of parties that night because I was expecting this place to be seriously packed and it was sort of a light-to-normal sized crowd.
































works by Sho Murase.
















Sho with another American Cosplay done right. This guy had a fully articulated ape face capable of showing a full range of facial expressions, emotions, and mouth shapes.
















Derek Thompson monsters originals for sale.
















































Finally home. Here is my Wondercon book haul. Finally got some Wendling and Alary books I've been wanting. After the long week I've had, I'M SLEEPING IN.

3 comments:

bittermelon said...

um, i believe a certain someone told you about that lovely irish bakery? get the chicken curry pastie.

anne hathaway frightens me and would not make a good agent 99. girlfriend ain't all that.

i like steve carrell's jacket.

it's LARK! i love her and thien!!!

dude, what's wrong with jubilation lee? and why is being flat chested a negative thing? i thought she was cool, and not all "model minority." and plus c'mon, she was pals with logan. psylocke, especially jim lee's psylocke, was smokin, but i was also disappointed when i found out she was really some blonde brit. lame.

and lastly, i love wendling.

i'm a little disappointed i couldn't go to wondercon this year but i don't think i missed out on anything really

enb said...

good review nat.
i feel like i was there.

Nat Loh said...

ha, I had to go dig this post up after your outrage of the Catwoman casting. Apparently your loathing was either suppressed or has grown epically since then.

Flat chested isn't a bad thing but in the comic book world where even the librarian is spilling out of her E-cup bra - and in the 90s, there was a since disproven Asian stereotype of girls being flat chested, I thought it was a deliberate portrayal of such bad stereotypes. Then they gave her the laaaaamest powers ever. She could never do anything except maybe temporarily blind people and always had to be rescued. They didn't even do anything clever like comboing blindness with another mutant's attack. Or I stopped reading before such a time. Her annoying personality was probably more well done in terms of character and teenage portrayal but I think I was more annoyed that she always was helpless and vulnerable and they never took it anywhere interesting. It's like the cowardly Corporal Upham in saving private ryan except instead of portraying the common man thrown into a war, it turned into the weak Asian for me. They could have had a great story about the weak mutant who represents the fears of weakness and general humanity but it never turned into that - just a character representing "weak sniveling Asians." She didn't even get a lot of page time either. In summary: I wanted her to be better.